This past weekend Brittany Vanderlinden (@brittanyvandy), Laurie Smithwick (@upsideup) and I spoke at the Type A Parent Conference about blog design. Woo woo!
Some people were surprised how much in-depth our session was because we went PAST typical blog design chit chat. Not only did we cover traditional design-y things like fonts and colors, but we also delved into making your site easy to use and even touched on coding (gasp!).
So here's our (long) presentation and some links to additional resources that we had mentioned.
Plugin Resources for Spam
- Akismet (free unless you're a business)- this one is a must for WP users
- WP Ban– can ban specific IP addresses (Gigi from Kludgy Mom has a good WP Ban tutorial)
- Growmap– from the guy who made CommentLuv. It's a good one to use if the others don't work. I used this temporarily on Adventuroo until the bots stopped hitting that site so hard.
(Or if you want even more plugin recommendations, subscribe to my newsletter and get a mini ebook of resources I use to run Momcomm.)
- Firebug for Firefox (inspect HTML on other sites and modify your own site just to test)
- Can do something similar to what Firebug does on Chrome by going to View>Developer>Developer Tools
- W3Schools.com to learn more about code
- Basic- Google Web Fonts
- Even better- Font Squirrel
- The one to watch (recently purchased by Adobe)- Typekit
Places for Color Inspiration
Finally, slides don't tell the whole story so if you want to get as close to the live presentation as possible, check out Christina Gleason's live blogging of our blog design session (thanks Christina!).
Would you pin this bad boy? Here's a preeeeety graphic to make it more enticing:
Hope you enjoyed it, y'all! And big thanks to Type A for having us speak!
Get Productive with Day Batching!
Subscribe and receive this tool to help you get the most out of your week!
Hey- I'm Melissa! I'm a mom, side hustler, online course instructor, and brand marketer. I run a 6-figure blog helping online biz owners find their a-ha moments with can-do tips, tutorials, and online courses. I also work at Burt's Bees as the assistant manager of Brand Engagement (yep, it's as cool as it sounds). Jump start your biz productivity with my free worksheet!